Saturday 25 February 2012

Staffordshire oatcakes, as made in Gloucestershire

After Christmas, my mum generously gave me and my vast quantity of miscellaneous stuff a lift back up to Stoke, and then a lift to Sainsbury's to fill my bare cupboards. While we were there, she picked up a packet of ready-made Staffordshire oatcakes to take home and try.

She liked them so much she decided to try making them at home.

That's a lot. She doesn't like cooking.

So, when I came home this weekend she offered to make some, and I obviously couldn't help getting involved.

The recipe needs
200g fine oatmeal (we made our own by smushing rolled oats in the food processor)
100g wholemeal flour
100g plain flour
1tsp
a pinch of salt
825ml (1 pint) of water

Mix the dry ingredients

Photobucket

add the water and mix until the mixture has a creamy consistency ( we found it took a little more water than the recipe suggested to get a pourable consistency)

Photobucket
Looks a lot like porridge

Then, leave the batter to stand in a warm place for 3-8 hours. When you come back, it'll will be lovely and frothy.

Heat a frying pan with a little oil and pour in a ladleful of batter.

Photobucket

Cook your oatcakes like pancakes, then set them aside with greaseproof paper between each one (to stop them sticking together).

Photobucket
This was my very first one, it did get a little bit broken.

Fill them - we went for cheese and bacon - then you can grill or fry them to warm it all, and serve!

Photobucket

Delicious.

If you try it, let me know how it goes!
Later in the week, I'll be bringing you the history of the Staffordshire oatcake.

No comments:

Post a Comment